How to Get Class A CDL License in 3 Weeks and Become a Working Truck Driver
A serious shortage exists in some segments of the trucking industry. It’s not a shortage of freight or equipment; it’s a shortage of men and women qualified to drive trucks.
Currently, there is a truck driver shortage of approximately 20,000 drivers per year. This number is expected to increase to 111,000 drivers per year. The shortage is just basic economics – the demand for professional truck drivers is growing faster than the number of new drivers. The industry is desperate for new drivers. If you received your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) today, it’s almost certain there will be a job available for you tomorrow.
Find Out More
How to Get Class A CDL in 3 Weeks?
Choosing the right truck driver training program is a crucial first step in getting started in your new career. It’s important that the school you choose has an in-depth, hands-on training curriculum that will prepare you for an exciting career working with a major carrier. You have an important choice to make, and we want you to be informed.
Truck Driver Institute 154-Hour Course Summary
- Drug Screen and DOT Physical Exam
- CDL Instruction – General Knowledge
- Sections 1, 2 & 3 of state CDL Manual
- CDL Preparation
- Section 5 Air Brakes
- Section 6 Combination Vehicles
- Take Written CDL Test
- Log Books, hours and service requirements
- How to Read a Map and Plan a Trip
- Smith System
- Weight Scales and Staying Legal
- Cargo Claims
- Basic Mechanical Knowledge
You must have tested for and passed your written permit to advance to week 2.
- Driving Range
- Pre-trip Inspection
- Backing Maneuvers, straight line and offset backing
- Begin driving on the road — gradual progression from driving in low traffic, to light traffic, etc.
- Practice advanced driving skills on the driving range and on the highway
- Night driving
- CDL Driving Skills Test — Highway/Street Testing
So, how do I take the next step?
We have friendly specialists who can answer your questions and give you all the information you need.
Call us at 1-800-848-7364 to begin the conversation now (M – F 8am – 5pm Central). Otherwise, request more information via e-mail.
What should I do to get ready to start my training at CDL school?
There are several things we recommend you should be prepared to do for your first day of class:
- pick up the CDL Manual from your state’s DMV and review sections 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6.The PDF version of the Driver Handbook is a large file. Download time may be slow.
- you will need your state-issued driver’s license
- you should have a complete 10-year work history
- you should be prepared to provide work references
After school, then do I finally become a truck driver?
We know a big part of our job is to make sure you have the training and confidence to become a commercial truck driver. And, a very big part of our job is to help you find a carrier where you can put those new skills to work. At Truck Driver Institute, we have the resources and experience to do just that — we have been putting America to work since 1973. Contact us today.
Call Us to Find Out How to Get Class A CDL