If you’ve just received your commercial driver’s license, you’re probably wondering what the best truck driving jobs for new drivers are and how to find them. Luckily, we’re here to help you. The truck driving industry, like most industries, usually bases the salaries of its workers largely on experience. The longer you’ve been a truck driver, the higher your salary will rise and the greater your benefits will be.
In the truck driving industry specifically, more experienced drivers are generally going to receive better salaries because of their proven track records as reliable and safe truck drivers. The truck driving industry is also similar to other industries in that, if you are applying for the same truck driving jobs that more experienced drivers are applying for, chances are that a more experienced driver is going to get the job instead of you.
So when you are a rookie driver, you should be strategic about which truck driving jobs you are applying for. Sometimes you might apply for the same jobs as more experienced drivers, but usually, you should look for positions and companies that specifically encourage new drivers. However, this doesn’t mean you should avoid applying to specific positions or companies geared more towards experienced drivers. Sometimes, companies want someone just out of school, as their knowledge and licensure are fresh–meaning all the rules and laws are at the forefront of their minds. Attending a renowned truck driving school like TDI is one way to help ensure that you receive a good truck driving job after you graduate. Our three-step job placement program helps you find the truck driving company that best suits your individual needs after you’ve received your CDL. Whether you’re a current student, a recent graduate, or a seasoned alum, we’ll help you find the best match for your lifestyle and career goals.
In this post, we’ve compiled a list of the companies that are happy to hire rookie drivers and offer them competitive salaries.
What Should You Look for in a Truck Driving Position?
Before doing a ton of research (or looking no further than this page since we’ve researched for you!), new truck drivers should establish what they want out of a position. Do you want an immediately high salary? Extended PTO? Benefits? Flexibility in when and where you drive? No matter your choices, TDI is here to help. Here are some benefits you should consider when looking for and choosing an employer:
- Medical coverage, including pharmaceutical and prescriptions and specialist services
- Medical coverage is one of the most significant and common benefits employers and employees are concerned with. Considering the high rates of medical care in the United States, having medical coverage is a must–especially if you have any chronic illnesses or are seeking preventative and/or emergency care. Emergency visits can cost thousands of dollars if you do not have insurance. Moreover, prescriptions can be an extreme cost without insurance, so it’s best to find an employer with prescription coverage if you have regular medications you need to take.
- Dental coverage
- Another of the three significant coverages (medical, dental, and vision), dental insurance is the best type of preventative insurance. As long as you get your yearly cleaning and maintain healthy dental hygiene, there shouldn’t be too many extra costs.
- Vision insurance
- Vision is the last of the big three, and most will not need it–if you have 20/20 vision, you only need to go to the eye doctor once a year for a check-up. However, as they age, most people will eventually need glasses as their sight deteriorates.
- Life insurance
- Although not necessary, if you have dependents or a family you’d like to provide for in the worst-case scenario; life insurance is simple and easy to sign up for.
- PTO is a significant benefit that almost all employees want. Paid Time Off means you still get paid, even if you take the day off. Typically, you earn time off the more you work.
- Bereavement Leave
- Bereavement leave is becoming increasingly popular. Separate from PTO, bereavement leave can be used for a loved one passing or a family emergency. Typically, employers offer a few weeks of this, while some even have unlimited bereavement–in addition to PTO!
- Mental Health Coverage
- This benefit is also becoming increasingly popular as more and more awareness of maintaining mental health spreads. This can include therapy and psychiatry visits and mental health days, too.
- Retirement planning/investments
- You’ve probably heard of this before–retirement planning and investments include Roth 401K and other forms of monetary preparation for retirement.
- Disability and Workers’ Compensation
- Student Loan Aid
- Grants and Supplemental Aid
Which Companies Offer The Best Truck Driving Jobs for New Drivers?
So let’s say that you’ve just graduated from a great truck driving school like TDI and gotten your CDL. Which truck driving jobs should you apply to in order to not be constantly beat out by more experienced drivers? And which truck driving jobs for new drivers offer the best wages and benefits?
Swift Trucking Company
Unlike some more established truck companies, Swift is happy to hire employees with no professional truck driving experience. Swift offers some of the best salaries in the truck industry for new and experienced drivers alike. While experienced drivers will still be receiving a higher salary, when it comes to truck drivers who’ve just gotten their CDL, Swift offers more than competitive rates. They also offer robust benefits packages for new truck drivers, including health insurance that covers dental and prescription medicine. All of Swift’s trucks are relatively new, usually with the 2-3 year age range, so you don’t have to worry about constant maintenance repairs.
US Xpress is known for hiring drivers who have just earned their CDLs. They even are sometimes willing to hire people still in truck driving school and to help pay your tuition with up to $7,000! US Xpress pays all drivers well, and that includes their newer hires. If you happen to be a new CDL holder and also a veteran, your salary will be even higher than if you were a new civilian hire. US Xpress also offers comprehensive benefits packages to all employees.
CR England is a great truck company to work for, and luckily you won’t even have to cross the pond to get there. This company has a reputation for being more than willing to help new drivers become established in the truck driving business. As with US Express, if you are a veteran, your starting salary will be higher, along with your benefits package and tax cuts. CR England is also known for being a highly charitable organization that values giving back to their communities: for every delivery they complete, they donate a meal to a food-insecure child. To date, they have donated over three million meals to children in need.
Werner Enterprises is one of the largest truck companies in America, with over twenty-five thousand trucks operating throughout the US, Mexico, and Canada. Since they operate so many vehicles, Werner Enterprises is always on the lookout for more drivers, including those who have just obtained their CDL. Werner Enterprises offers competitive rates, generous benefits including paid time off, and a veterans benefit program. If you are environmentally conscious, you’ll be happy to know that Werner Enterprises is renowned for being one of the most sustainable truck companies around.
XPO Logistics is one of the largest transportation companies in the world, as they work with over 50,000 different companies. This means that they’re always on the lookout for more drivers, including novices. Whether you drive a freight van or a tractor, XPO will offer you an impressive salary and benefits package. XPO Logistics makes a point to find the type of truck driving job that works for you, including numerous truck driving positions that allow you to return home daily.
J.B. Hunt is known for paying all of its drivers well, including its rookie hires. Whether you wish to return home daily or drive cross country, J.B. Hunt has that perfect truck driving opportunity for you. They also offer comprehensive benefits packages that include great health care and matched 401k retirement savings plans. They are also a company that is very inclusive towards veterans; nearly one of five employees at J.B. Hunt is a veteran.
Let Us Help You Get Your Truck Driving Career Started
Ready to get on track to apply for some of the best truck driving jobs for new drivers?
TDI is one of the most reputable truck driving schools around. When companies see that you’ve trained with us, they know that, rookie or not, you’ll be one of the most efficient and safe drivers around.
If that weren’t enough of a reason to start your truck driving career with us, we also offer a job placement program to all of our graduates that boasts an over 86% success rate.
So what are you waiting for? Contact us today, and within three weeks, you’ll be ready to apply for the best truck driving jobs for new drivers.
Get your Class A CDL in our friendly, supportive CDL training program. TRAIN with experienced instructors – multiple good-paying, secure job choices with benefits available for eligible graduates. EARN $700 – $1000+ / week to start as a truck driver. Get started today by filling out the form below. We look forward to hearing from you!