Trucking Companies in Nashville, TN and How to Get Hired
If you’re ready to get your commercial driver’s license (CDL) and you live in the South, you might have considered working with one of the many trucking companies in Nashville, TN. This article covers the different types of transport jobs a CDL holder can get in Nashville, the best companies in Nashville to work for, and how you can go about securing a high-paying trucking job in Music City, USA.
Truck driving is one of the nation’s fastest growing industries, and plenty of companies are scrambling to hire drivers so they can keep America’s goods in motion. According to the American Trucking Associations, the industry will need to hire around 1.1 million new drivers within the next 10 years to meet the demand. In recent years, the amount of new drivers hasn’t met the growth spike, and qualified truckers are in short supply.
No matter which kind of driving you want to do, getting a CDL is a great option for those looking to enter the workforce and those who are looking for a career change. But what kinds of jobs are there to be had in Nashville? Let’s explore that question below.
Trucking Companies in Nashville, TN and What They’re Looking For
The nation’s largest carriers have openings in Nashville, and they’re hiring for a wide range of different driving jobs. According to Indeed, there are more than 1,000 open positions for CDL A drivers. Here are a few of the major trucking companies in Nashville that have openings:
- Werner Express
- HO Wolding
- US Xpress
- … and more!
As you could have imagined, trucking companies are not the only companies that are hiring. There are also businesses in food service, retail, e-commerce, moving, and many other sectors that urgently need drivers.
Now that we know who is hiring, what kinds of drivers are they looking for? Before we answer that question, we have to look at the transport industry as it stands today.
A Nationwide Shortage Means People From All Walks of Life Can Drive a Truck
As we mentioned before, there’s a huge shortage of qualified drivers in the USA. This is great news for prospective CDL holders.
To fill the 30,000+ positions open today, the best carriers in the nation are hiring individuals with less-than-perfect driving records, criminal records, individuals with poor credit, individuals without a diploma, and, in some cases, even people with a DUI on their record.
That said, all you need to bring to the table is a strong work ethic, a willingness to learn, an urge to travel the country, and a positive outlook can get a CDL these days.
Naturally, getting your CDL is the first step in the whole process. Let’s take a look at how you can get your CDL and find a truck driving job in Nashville.
How to Work for Trucking Companies in Nashville, TN – Job Placement at TDI
The first step to getting a job with trucking companies in Nashville is to get your CDL. Don’t worry! It’s not as daunting as it may seem. Truck Driver Institute (TDI) has a campus that services Nashville, and we offer a CDL Class A program that will bring you from a driver with zero experience to a confident new truck driver in just 3 weeks.
Before you even step foot in one of our classrooms, we begin our job placement process. After we find some potential matches, our job placement experts reach out to you and work with you closely to review your career goals. Over the course of your training, we work with our carrier partners to find you a job that meets your requirements. On the off chance you don’t get a placement before you graduate, we continue to work with you after you leave TDI to make sure you find employment in this lucrative industry.
Our job placement program boasts a 90% success rate because your success matters to us. There’s nothing better than seeing a TDI graduate get the job of their dreams, and we help you find your place at one of the many trucking companies in Nashville.
What Are the Benefits of Being a Truck Driver?
Chances are you’re interested in becoming a truck driver because you know it offers great opportunities. The growing demand for CDL holders has created a market which is very favorable to potential employees because carriers are working hard to incentivize new drivers to come in. Here are a few of the benefits of becoming a truck driver for a major carrier today:
- A high starting salary. Truck driving is known for having an extremely high starting salary compared to other trades. Although your compensation varies between companies, TDI graduates routinely start at more than $40,000 per year. As you could imagine, that figure increases as your career progresses. At the top end, drivers can earn upwards of $78,000, and owner-operators can earn over six figures. Try to find career and income growth like that anywhere else!
- Tuition reimbursement. One of the biggest reservations prospective students have is the cost of truck driving school. Truck driving school does require an initial investment; however, many students qualify for discounts, and carriers almost always offer their new drivers some form of tuition reimbursement to make getting your CDL as affordable as possible.
- Top class benefits. Health and safety are the truck driving industry’s top priority, and transport companies don’t skimp on the well being of their drivers. That’s why new and experienced drivers alike enjoy full health, vision, life, and dental insurance.
- Guaranteed family time. The truck driving lifestyle isn’t for everyone, and even those individuals who enjoy some alone time and the feeling of the wide open road need a connection to their homes. That’s why truck driving companies try their best to ensure their drivers have enough home time, allowing them to keep a healthy work and life balance.
- Retirement plans. In these uncertain times, many Americans aren’t sure whether or not they will be able to retire. The good news is that truck driving companies commonly offer the best 401k retirement plans you’re bound to find in most industries.
- Team driving opportunities. The open road is a beautiful place, but at times truck drivers need a little companionship. Many trucking companies in Nashville offer their drivers just that with team driving opportunities, allowing you to bring a significant other or family member along for the ride.
These benefits for truck driving work wonders for those entering the workforce for the first time as well as those who have struggled to find comparable benefits in other industries. These benefits give you and your family financial security that would take years and years of experience in other fields, and plenty of the trucking companies in Nashville provide you with that peace of mind.
Trucking Companies in Nashville, TN – Learn More at TDI
If you’re ready to start a new career, looking for jobs at trucking companies in Nashville is a great direction to search in. However, getting your CDL is always the first step.
Take a look at our course offerings here at TDI, our job placement scheme, or other useful information to start learning about how the truck driving industry can benefit you. You can also contact us today to learn more about the trucking industry and our truck driving school in Nashville.